Tuesday, September 11, 2012

THE AVIATOR

ABOUT the film:  The Aviator is the most well known portrayal of OCD in a feature film, the true story of aviation pioneer Howard Hughes. The 2004 film follows Hughes from the late 1920s to 1947, during which time he became a successful film producer and aviation magnate while simultaneously exhibiting more and more severe OCD -- at a time before effective treatments for OCD had been developed. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director for Martin Scorsese, Best Actor for Leonardo DiCaprio.

WATCH the film:  Available on home video for purchase and rental online and through local video stores.

DISCUSS the film:  After you watch the film, return here to join in the discussion at the bottom of this page.

REVIEW by Julie:  Of all the feature films included in our virtual film fest I think The Aviator provides the most realistic portrayal of life with OCD and obviously this is because Hughes' character is one of fact and not one of fiction as the other films in this category. (I haven't seen the documentary OC 87 yet.) The film shows the gradual decline of a genius from the height to fame and wealth to a self-imposed social isolation. The profound impact of OCD on a person's life is not sugar coated or made a mockery of here. It is a highlight of just how all-consuming the disorder can be and how it can take control of a person's life.

I would definitely rate this as the #1 movie featuring a person with OCD. The film industry does not build the film up with exaggerated symptoms and comedic breaks that mock OCD. Rather it does the disorder justice and that is something to be celebrated in the time of myths and stereotypes about OCD.

DISCUSS the film (in comments section below):
  • Is there a relationship between genius and OCD?
  • The film shows Hughes' fear of germs that gradually became worse and worse. Does OCD tend to intensify later in life if left untreated?
  • About 15-20 famous people in Hollywood have revealed that they suffer from OCD. What do you think would be the hardest part of struggling with this disorder in the public eye such as Hughes did? 
  • How accurately do you think OCD is portrayed in the film?

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely loved this movie. I agree it was the most accurate portrayal of OCD I have seen. I had always been a bit dismissive about Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor, but this changed my view completely. The scene in the restroom where he washes his hands until they are bloody not only captures the anxiety of OCD, but the rage at the helplessness and frustration OCD sufferers feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the saddest thing about Howard Hughes' life as the OCD manifested was that there was apparently no one in his life who would tell him "no" or give him honest, healthy reactions. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and I wonder whether this isn't something like the same thing. When you have the absolute power to construct how you will do things, what you will do and when, you can go to unreachable extremes. But at least he did bring 24-hour TV to Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the similar thoughts Cynthia. His wealth was his great enabler. Had he not been able to build his own world of isolation, he would have been forced to face his problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeffrey Schwartz, MD, coached DiCaprio on OCD behaviour for the film. It was so 'successful' that DiCaprio has acknowledged it took him weeks to 'unlearn' the behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a relationship between genius and OCD? I'd like to think there is, because I suffer with it OCD! However, I'm far from a genius. This is an excellent movie (one of my favorites) and is the best portrayal of how OCD can consume every aspect of one's life that I've seen on film. I think DiCaprio was outstanding as Howard Hughes. I agree with Cynthia and Tom, that his OCD was likely worsened because of his unlimited resources. My OCD became so severe 10 years ago that I could no longer work as a pediatrician. I had always been a socially active people person, but became a virtual recluse on disability because of my OCD. When I would watch "The Aviator", I would always relate so well to Howard Hughes that I'd see myself ending up in the same place he found himself. Fortunately though, I did not have the (financial) resources that he did, and I had to at least get out of the house and go to the grocery store, the bank, the pharmacy and a few other essential places. Because of this I had to face at least some of my fears. With proper treatment (& current medical resources), education, hard work, and time I've seen significant improvement, and for this I'm grateful. I believe that Howard Hughes' personal life would have been so much better had he known then what we know now about OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hardest part of struggling with OCD in the public eye? Although not a celebrity in the "public eye", as a physician in a small town, I did have quite a bit of daily interaction with people and I was very active in my community before my OCD became severe. The reasons for my social isolation and virtual reclusiveness related to my OCD were my feelings of embarrassment relating to the stigma of mental illness, my anxiety, and my recurrent thoughts of guilt and shame. My compulsion of avoidance was (and often still is) I think, one of the highest hurdles I faced. I suspect that most people with OCD (celebrity or not) have at least some degree of these issues as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is late, but I think it's less that it necessarily grows worse as one goes without treatment and more that it manifests more intensely the more stress a sufferer is subjected to. Not only did Howard Hughes face (fairly typical, if at times extreme) personal and professional stresses most of us do, but he also suffered from intractable pain due to the numerous serious injuries he received from multiple aircraft crashes.

    ReplyDelete