Tuesday, September 11, 2012

LIKE ME ONLY BETTER



ABOUT the film:  Like Me Only Better is a lighthearted but thoroughly educational film about Neuroses, Catholicism and Prozac.  A man tries to become a better person and to overcome his OCD. The film establishes a link between his Catholic upbringing, his childhood imagination and his adult obsessions and compulsions. The hand-drawn animation moves between the inner and outer worlds of the main character.
WATCH the film (5:24 min) on YouTube.

DISCUSS the film:  After you watch the film, return here to join in the discussion at the bottom of this page.

REVIEW by Julie:  The thing I like about this film is that it takes a comedic spin on OCD and for me I have always believed that I need to be able to laugh at myself and my OCD and if i am not able to then maybe all hope will really be lost at that point. If I laugh at my OCD it helps put it in perspective more and enables me to see it for the toxic trash from my brain that it really is. I also like how medication is addressed and how it accurately describes that when you are on meds it's not that the thoughts all disappear it's just that you don't care about them as much. Great film!

DISCUSS the film (in comments section below):
  • How well does this film show us OCD?
  • How does religion or morality play a part in OCD?
  • If you or someone you love has OCD, how do you laugh at the things you struggle with and keep a light heart?
  • What is your experience of medication making the person with OCD feel like themselves, only better, as the film describes?
  • The character in the film finds himself singing the praises of Prozac and preaching about how much better the world might be if everyone took Prozac. In educating the public about OCD, how can we let people know about the benefits of the cognitive-behavioral treatment, exposure and response prevention (ERP), as well as medication?

No comments:

Post a Comment